Aim: To prepare and submit 100 ml of Aluminium hydroxide suspension.
Requirements: Aluminium hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sodium saccharin, Peppermint oil, Amaranth colour, Methyl paraben, Propyl paraben, Butter paper, Analytical balance, Sieve, Mortar and pestle.
Theory: Aluminium hydroxide gel is an antacid suspension. It is also known as Aluminium hydroxide suspension or Aluminium hydroxide mixture. It is a colloidal suspension, hence does not require the use of suspending agent because of the strong affinity that exists between the dispersed phase ‘Aluminium hydroxide’ and water. As a result, there is an increase in viscosity and aluminium hydroxide gel gets easily dispersed in water.
Aqueous aluminium hydroxide antacid suspension tends to thicken as gel during shelf life. This gelling is accelerated during storage under warm conditions (30-40°C). This problem can be circumvented by the addition of sorbitol in a concentration from 0.5-7% depending on the concentration of aluminium hydroxide in suspension. Sorbitol imparts a cool sweet pleasant taste. The parabens are used as preservatives, Peppermint oil as a flavouring agent, and Alcohol serves as a vehicle. Amaranth solution is added to impart colour to the preparation.
|Aluminium hydroxide gel (Dried)||36 gm|
|Sodium saccharine||0.05 gm|
|Methyl paraben||0.2 gm|
|Propyl paraben||0.02 gm|
|Peppermint oil||0.005 ml|
|Purified water||100 ml|
- Dissolve methyl paraben, propyl paraben, sodium saccharine, and peppermint oil in alcohol in the clean dry vessel.
- In another beaker take nearly one half of the volume of purified water and add sorbitol solution. Mix well.
- To this solution add the alcoholic solution and stir well.
- Add aluminium hydroxide in small proportions with continuous stirring.
- Add amaranth solution and mix.
- Transfer to a measuring cylinder and add a sufficient amount of purified water to produce the required volume.
- Mix well. Transfer to a suitable bottle.
Category: As antacid in peptic ulcers.
Storage: Store in a well-closed container and keep in a dry place.
Labelling: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Preparation of Kaolin Mixture