Applications of Column Chromatography: Column chromatography is a separation technique in which the substances to be separated are introduced onto the top of a column packed with the solid adsorbent. The mobile phase is then loaded at the top of the column and is allowed to flow down slowly and continuously through the column. The components with lower adsorption and affinity to the stationary phase travel faster when compared to the greater adsorption and affinity with the stationary phase. The components that move fast are removed first whereas, the components that move slowly are eluted out last.
Applications of Column Chromatography
- Column chromatography is used to isolate active ingredients.
- It is very helpful in separating compound mixtures.
- It is used to determine drug estimation from drug formulations.
- Column chromatography has a wider choice of the mobile phase.
- Automation is possible.
- Column chromatography is the most preferred and the only separation technique in phytochemistry for the separation of active constituents from the plant.
- Used to isolate metabolites from biological fluids.
- It is used to remove impurities.
- Since the flow of the mobile phase is under the influence of gravitational force so, no special mechanical devices are needed to carry out the operation.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Applications of HPLC