Applications of High-Performance Thin Layer Chromatography (HPTLC): HPTLC technique is widely employed in the pharmaceutical industry in process development, identification, and detection of adulterants in herbal products and helps in the standardization of herbal drugs. HPTLC is an advanced sophisticated form of TLC. It is more efficient than TLC due to the smaller particle size of adsorbent (mean particle size 5-6 um) and narrow range of particle size distribution (4-8 μm). Further, the sample is loaded in the form of the band rather than spot which causes uniform distribution and compact diffusion of the analyte. The automatic sample applicator of HPTLC can apply the sample in microliter quantity and with the accurate volume of sample onto the plate. Several samples can run simultaneously by use of a smaller quantity of mobile phase than in HPLC. It has also been reported that mobile phases of pH 8 and above can be used for HPTLC. Another advantage of HPTLC is the repeated detection (scanning) of the chromatogram with the same or different conditions.
Applications of High-Performance Thin Layer Chromatography (HPTLC)
- HPTLC is suitable for both the qualitative and quantitative analysis of herbal extracts and formulations.
- Due to integrated software, all the analysis parameters and results can be stored digitally.
- It enables rapid analysis of herbal extracts with a minimum mobile phase.
- In HPTLC, the application of sample, scanning, and data analysis can be performed individually.
- HPTLC does not require an extensive sample clean-up procedure.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Applications of Thin Layer Chromatography