Aim: To prepare and submit calamine liniment.
Requirements: Calamine, wool fat, oleic acid, Arachis oil, calcium hydroxide solution, Beaker, Pipette, Glass rod, Measuring cylinder, etc.
Theory: Camphor is a ketone obtained from Cinnamomum camphora linn. It is in the form of colorless or white crystals, granules, or crystalline mass. It has a penetrating characteristic odor, a pungent, aromatic taste, and is readily soluble in small amounts of alcohol and other organic solvents. It is used as a counter-irritant, mild anesthetic, and rubefacient when rubbed on the skin. It is also used to treat inflamed joints, sprains, rheumatic and other inflammatory conditions. Arachis oil is used as a solvent for the preparation of various pharmaceutical products. It is used for the preparation of liniments, ointments, and soaps.
|Wool fat||1 g|
|Oleic acid||0.5 ml|
|Arachis oil||50 ml|
|Calcium hydroxide solution||100 ml|
- First of all, weigh the calculated amount of the ingredients accurately.
- Melt weighed the amount of wool fat, oleic acid, and Arachis oil.
- Triturate calamine with the melted oil.
- Add calcium hydroxide solution, shake it, and make the required volume.
- Transfer it to a suitable container.
Storage: Store in a well-closed container and protect from sunlight.
Labeling: FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Preparation of Turpentine Liniment