- These are mostly twiners, often with latex and bicollateral vascular bundles or internal phloem.
- The leaves are simple, alternate, and exstipulate.
- The inflorescence is cymose. The flowers are regular, bisexual, hypogynous, often large, and showy.
- There are five sepals, usually free. The odd one is posterior, imbricate, and persistent.
- There are (5) petals, that are gamopetalous, funnel-shaped, twisted in the bud, and sometimes imbricate.
- The five stamens are epipetalous, alternating with the petals.
- There are (2) carpels, rarely more, connate. The ovary is superior, with a disc at the base. It is two-celled, with two ovules in each cell, or sometimes four celled with one ovule in each cell. The placentation is axile.
- The fruit is a berry or a capsule.
Examples: Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas), jalap (Ipomoea purga), etc.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Apocynaceae