Aim: To prepare and submit 100 gm of Effervescent Granules.
Requirements: Sodium bicarbonate, Citric acid, Tartaric acid, Anhydrous sodium carbonate, Sodium saccharin, Analytical Balance, Mortar and pestle, Butter paper, etc.
Theory: Effervescent granules are specially prepared solid dosage forms of a medicament for internal use. They contain active pharmaceutical ingredients mixed with bicarbonate, citric acid, and tartaric acid. On mixing with water, carbon dioxide is released. These forms mask the unpleasant taste and ensure better absorption of the medications.
|Sodium bicarbonate||3.5 gm|
|Citric acid||2.5 gm|
|Tartaric acid||1.5 gm|
|Sodium saccharin||0.3 gm|
|Anhydrous sodium carbonate||2.5 gm|
- Make the fine powders of all the ingredients and then pass them through sieve No. 60.
- Weigh sodium carbonate, tartaric acid, and anhydrous sodium carbonate separately as required. 2. Add citric acid to mortar and mix well.
- Add flavoring agent and coloring agent.
- Add anhydrous sodium carbonate.
- Add Sodium saccharin and mix well.
- Dry it in the oven.
Category: Antacid and Carminative.
Storage: Store in a well-closed container and keep in a cool place.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Paracetamol Elixir I.P.