Food In Relation To Nutrition And Health: Nutrition is the field of science that is associated with nutrients, nutrition, growth, development, regulation, and repair of the body.
Nutrition may be defined as the process by which an animal or plant takes in and utilizes food substances. Essential nutrients include; protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes.
- Nutrition: The study of food.
- Food: Substance that contains nutrients.
- Nutrients: Substance that can be digested and used by the body.
- Micronutrients: Micronutrients are usually vitamins and minerals, A sufficient intake of all micronutrients is required for optimal health.
- Macronutrients: Macronutrients are the nutrients that supply energy and calories and are essential in large quantities to maintain body tasks and to carry out the activities of everyday life.
Healthy Diet and Nutrition
Table of Contents
- Having a healthy food/diet is essential for proper functioning of body.
- Having proper amount of diet is essential and improper diet may cause health related issues.
- A balanced diet promotes nutritional health.
- A healthy diet and exercise reduce stress.
- A healthy diet can help to boost your immunity and resistance to many diseases. Include fruits and vegetables in daily diet.
- Don’t skip breakfast.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
Healthy Diet and Mental Health
- Mental health problems are associated with poor diet.
Ways to Protect Your Mental Health:
- Take time for yourself.
- Adequate rest and sleep.
- Manage stress diligently.
- Eat healthily.
- Exercise adequately.
- Share concerns and worries with friends and family.
- Think positively.
- Try new things.
Healthy Diet and Cancer
- The high amount of Saturated fats in the diet may cause Colon and prostate cancer.
- High fat intake may cause breast and rectum cancer.
- All types of cancer are related to the dietary component.
Ways to Protect Yourself from Cancer:
- Regular intake of fruits rich in fiber content, vegetables, and substances containing antioxidants and vitamins like; carotene, vitamin-C, vitamin-E, retinol which are potential anti-carcinogenic agents.
Healthy Diet and Skeletal Disease
- Intake of a diet poor in calcium may cause osteoporosis.
- Intake of excess amount of Alcohol and Smoking habits causes osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis symptoms are generally observed in elders.
Ways to Protect Yourself from Skeletal Disease:
- Consume Calcium rich diet (for eg. Milk, yogurt, Fish, eggs, etc.).
- Increase uptake of Vitamin D (Salmon, tuna, sardines, Supplements, sunlight, etc.).
Healthy Diet and Chronic Diseases
Generally, slowly progressing and long-term diseases are called chronic diseases.
- Generally observed in individuals of developed countries.
- Chronic diseases occur with intake of affluent diet Social and Health Education etc.).
- Examples of chronic diseases: Heart disease, stroke, Cancer, Diabetes, etc.
Ways to Protect Yourself from Chronic Diseases:
- Maintain a healthy diet and consume an adequate amount of all the nutrients and water.
- Consume nutrient-rich foods
- Maintain body weight
- Don’t skip meals.
- Include fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid junk food.
- Exercise daily.
- Proper sleep.
Healthy Diet and Dental Diseases
- Sugar has a causal association with dental caries; the association is particularly strong during childhood with sugars that are consumed in between meals rather than with meals.
- Intake of excess amount of sugar diet may cause dental problems.
- One dental disease is gum disease and it is the main reason behind tooth loss.
- The reason behind the development of gum disease is a lack of brushing and flossing.
Ways to Protect Yourself from Dental Diseases:
- To protect dental diseases and gums, consume healthy vegetables and fruits rich in calcium, folic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
- Daily brushing and daily flossing can avoid gum diseases and dental diseases.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Health Education