Health Promotion And Education In School: The promotion of health is a common function in public health. Public health is the science of health promotion disease prevention and the premature death of a population, usually in the presence of limited financial resources, through the systematic efforts of society, communities, or individuals. It covers three key areas:
1. Health improvement or Promotion: Promote health through education.
2. Health care services: Providing, analyzing, and improving health care services.
3. Health Protection: Protection against infectious diseases and contaminated environmental conditions.
Principles of Health Promotion
Table of Contents
- Promote Social Responsibility for Health: Involve the population in the context of their everyday life. Shift focus from people at risk for a specific disease.
- Increase in community capacity and empower the individuals: Individual communication and education, legislation, organizational and community development.
- Increase in investment and infrastructure for health development: Action on the determinants of ill health or its causes. Sector-to-government co-operation.
- Expand partnership for health: Involvement of a variety of health professionals, particularly in primary care.
- Quality: A quality health system delivers the right treatment to the right individual at the right time in the right way.
- Sustainability: To provide high-quality service and encourage innovation and continuous improvement, the system must be long-lasting.
Health education is the mechanism by which individuals and community of people learn to:
- Promote health
- Maintain health
- Restore health
Health Education Method
- Provide more detailed information and guidelines.
- Provide basic information.
- Draw attention to a particular problem.
- Guidelines focused on the behavior change.
(1) Providing more detailed information and guidelines: Education focused on the attitude change by:
(2) Provide basic information: Basic information warning, recommendations, advice are provided by:
- Articles in newspapers
- TV and radio broadcasts
(3) Drawing attention to a particular problem:
- TV spots
(4) Guidelines focused on the behavior change:
- Set of guidelines
- PC Programmes
- Courses and systematic educational plans
Principles of Health Education
- Motivation: Motivation is awakening for the desire to know and learn,
- Health education in school: It is the process of transferring health knowledge during a student’s school The definition of school health education has evolved much throughout the 21 century. School health education today is seen as a comprehensive curriculum for health It is a mixture of society, schools, and practices of patient care. Health education covers the continuum from disease, prevention, and promotion of optimal health to treatment, rehabilitation, and longer-term care for the detection of illness.
Objectives of Health Promotion And Education In School
- To encourage behavior that promotes and maintains health.
- To make health an asset valued by the community.
- To keep the child physically and mentally healthy.
- To improve the immune system of the children.
- To make the children free from disease and hence, good performance in studies.
- To imbibe in children good manners which they can carry throughout their life.
- To describe the importance of a healthy diet.
- To increase knowledge of the factors that affect health.
Aim of Health Education
- Health promotion and disease prevention.
- Early diagnosis and management.
- To provide the public with accurate data on medical discoveries.
- To facilitate the acceptance and proper usage of medical measures.
- To educate the general public about the principles of physical and mental hygiene and methods of avoiding preventable diseases
- To create an informed body (social workers, teachers) of opinion and knowledge.
Promote Healthy Lifestyle in School
- Provide healthy environments in school.
- Work for safer, healthier community environments.
- Teach children to be critical of media advertising.
- Involve parents in supporting health education.
- Increase health-related knowledge.
- Increase physical activity and promote physical education for a healthy life.
School Health Services
School health services consist of comprehensive, integrated, preventive, primitive, and curative rehabilitative services to the school teachers, all support staff, and children which provide remedial measures and referral services when it is needed School health is a primary practice and public health services to maintain the health status of the school-going children.
1. Health Education: The most significant component of the school health programme in health education. School health education’s main goal is:
- Physical education
- Nutrition services
- Personal hygiene
- Physical activity during school
- Staff and family involvement in physical activity
- Environment hygiene
2. Immunization: An immunization campaign against communicable diseases should be planned. School children should be immunized. An adequate record of all immunizations should be kept.
3. Physical education: Physical education is part of health education. In school, physical education includes:
- Physical training (Remedial exercise for minor physical defects)
- Social services
4. Daily Morning Inspection in Schools.
5. Health Education Knowledge, Skills, and Positive Attitudes.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : NPHCE