Aim: To prepare, evaluate and submit sunscreen cream.
Requirements: 100 mesh sieve, Beaker, Water bath, Mortar pestle, and Collapsible tube.
Chemicals: Para Amino Benzoic Acid, Glyceryl Monostearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Liquid Paraffin, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, Water, and Preservative.
Formulation Consideration: Sun cosmetics are products designed primarily to protect human skin from the harmful effects of sunlight, which can induce premature skin aging.
An example of chemical sunscreen agents is Para amino Benzoic acid and its derivatives, anthranilates, cinnamic acid derivatives, benzophenones, quinolone derivatives, hydroquinone, etc. They are usually efficient in the UV B region and they are invisible when applied and hence cosmetically elegant.
1. Para Amino Benzoic Acid: It is used as the sunscreen agent.
2. Mineral Oil: It is used as an emollient and it is not prone to rancidity like vegetable oil.
3. Glyceryl monostearate: It is used as a non-ionic emulsifier, stabilizer, and emollient for this o/w type of emulsion.
4. Cetyl Alcohol is a secondary emulsion and gives consistency to the product.
5. Tri ethanol amines form in ceto soap with stearic acid and act as an emulsifier.
6. Glycerin is used as a humectant.
|Sr.No.||Ingredients||Quantity given (for 100 gm)||Quantity taken|
|1||Para Amino Benzoic Acid||5 gm|
|2||Glyceryl Monostearate||14 gm|
|3||Cetyl Alcohol||1 gm|
|4||Liquid Paraffin||15 gm|
|7||Stearic Acid||5 gm|
- Pass para-aminobenzoic acid through a 100 mesh sieve.
- Mix para-aminobenzoic acid, glyceryl monostearate, cetyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, and stearic acid in a beaker and heat to 65-70°C.
- In a separate beaker mix glycerin, triethanolamine, and water heat at the same temperature. Add the aqueous phase to the oil phase in the water bath with continuous stirring. Transfer it to a hot mortar and triturate it continuously.
- When the temperature is dropped to 45°C, add perfume. Triturate till room temperature is attained till a smooth consistency is obtained.
Label: For External Use only.
Storage: Store in a cool and dry place. Keep out of reach of children.
Packaging: Packed in a wide-mouth bottle.
Use: Helps to prevent sunburn, darkening, and premature wrinkling. It acts as a UV guard.
Directions: Apply generously and evenly before sun exposure as needed.
|7||Type of emulsion|
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : How to Make Moisturizing Cream?