Aim: To prepare and submit 100 gm of zinc oxide paste.
Requirements: Zinc oxide, Starch, White soft paraffin, Lavigating knife.
Theory: Pastes contain powders dispersed in the vehicle in a quantity of more than 25%. They are usually stiffer, less greasy, and more absorptive than ointments. Pastes adhere reasonably well to the skin and they are suited for application on and around moist lesions. Pastes are less macerating than ointments. They easily may be removed from the skin. They are divided into pastes for application on the skin (pastae dermaticae) and dental pastes (pastae dentifricae). An official paste is zinc oxide paste. Zinc oxide is an antibacterial agent.
|Zinc oxide||250 gm|
|White soft paraffin||500 gm|
- Weigh accurately all the ingredients.
- Mix the ZnO and starch in the mortar.
- Melt the white soft paraffin.
- Pour the melted paraffin into the mixture of ZnO and starch.
- Levigate it till it becomes a smooth and shiny paste.
Category: Antiseptic and protective.
Storage: Store in a well-closed container.
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Preparation of Zinc Oxide Ointment