Applications of HPLC: High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) is another form of separation technique used in analytical chemistry and herbal drug research for the separation, identification, and quantification of components of a mixture. In HPLC, high pressure generating pumps are used to pass liquid containing the sample mixture and the mobile phase through a column filled with solid adsorbent material leading to the separation of sample components. A typical HPLC instrument is composed of a degasser, sample injection port, pump, column, column oven, and detector. HPLC is also equipped with a microprocessor and software through which one can control all the parameters like; mobile flow rate, pressure, the composition of the mobile phase, column oven temperature, and data analysis.
Applications of HPLC
- As HPLC is carried out under high pressure, it provides a high degree of separation and resolution.
- Mobile phase composition can be varied at any time which can affect the complete separation of phytoconstituents which is not possible in HPTLC.
- Column temperature can be controlled accurately which can affect the separation and resolution of separated phytoconstituents.
- Detection of impurities in pharmaceutical industries.
- The quantity of sample required for analysis is very little (up to nanogram).
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Applications of HPTLC