Aim: To prepare, evaluate and submit moisturizing cream.
Requirements: Beaker, Stirrer, Water bath, and Suitable container.
Chemicals: Isopropyl myristate, Cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Triethanolaminelauryl sulfate, Propylene glycol, Preservative, Perfume, and Water.
Formulation Consideration: If water is lost more rapidly from the stratum corneum than it is received from the lower layer of the epidermis, the skin becomes dehydrated and loses its flexibility.
There are two basic types of skin. The first is due to prolonged exposure to low humidity and air movement, which modifies the normal hydration gradient of the stratum corneum. The second is due to progress such as aging, continual dehydration, etc.
The approach to restoring water to dry skin has taken three different routes:
- Occlusion reduces the rate of trance epidermal water loss.
- Humectants act as moisturizers.
- Restoration of natural moistening factor in the skin. E.g. Sodium-2-Pyrrolidine-5- carboxylate.
Isopropyl myristate acts as an occlusive agent, cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol are emulsion stabilizers. Cetyl alcohol acts as emollient stearyl alcohol that has a high melting point and gives a non-greasy feel. Triethanolamine lauryl sulfate acts as an emulsifier.
|Sr.No.||Ingredients||Quantity Given (For 100 g)||Quantity Taken|
|4||Triethanolamine lauryl sulfate||1.2|
|7||Preservative and Perfume||q.s.|
- Weigh isopropyl myristate, cetyl alcohol, and stearyl alcohol in a beaker.
- Heat it in a water bath to 60°C. Weigh propylene glycol, water, and triethanolamine lauryl sulfate in another beaker. Heat to the same temperature.
- Add aqueous phase to oily phase with continuous stirring till 40°C. Incorporate perfume.
Label: For external use only. When using this product do not get into your eyes. Stop use and ask a doctor if the condition worsens. Storage conditions: Store at room temperature.
Precautions: Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Uses: It protects and helps relieve minor skin irritation and itching
Directions: Apply as needed
|5||Type of emulsion|
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : How to Make Cold Cream?