Aim: To prepare, evaluate and submit medicated toothpaste.
Requirements: Sieve No. 80 #, Mortar-pestle, Beakers, Water bath, and Collapsible tube.
Chemicals: Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate dehydrate, Glycerin, Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Sodium Saccharin, Potassium nitrate, clove oil, Colour, Flavour, Preservatives, and Purified water.
Formulation Consideration: Potassium nitrate is used as a desensitizer for treating tooth sensitivity to touch, sweets, or hot, cold, or acidic substances. Clove oil is a mild anesthetic that temporarily deadens the nerves of the teeth.
Storage: Store in a cool dry place.
Directions: For dental use only.
- Name and type of toothpaste (fluoridated/ non-fluoridated).
- Net weight.
- Fluoride ion content in ppm for fluoridated toothpaste.
- Key ingredients of the formulation.
- Best use before.
- Foaming or non-foaming
|Sr. No.||Ingredients||Quantity Given % w/w||Quantity Taken|
|1||Calcium carbonate (Precipitated chalk)||15|
|2||Dicalcium phosphate dihydrate (DCP)||35|
|4||Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose||1.5|
|5||Sodium lauryl sulfate||2|
|8||Clove oil||0.2 ml|
|9||Colour and flavor||q.s|
|11||Purified water||qs to 100 gm|
- Sift calcium carbonate and DCP through sieve No. 80 # and triturate the required quantity with sodium saccharin in clean and dry mortar.
- Then add glycerin to the mortar and triturate.
- Prepare the mucilage of Sodium CMC in the dry beaker with a small amount of hot water with preservatives and potassium nitrate dissolved in it. Break lumps if formed.
- Add this mucilage to the above mixture in mortar and continue trituration to get a smooth consistency.
- Then add the required quantity of color, flavor, and clove oil.
- Dissolve the required quantity of SLS in the rest of the required quantity of water in a separate beaker.
- Add SLS solution to the above paste and stir gently to avoid foaming. Weigh and fill in a clean and dry collapsible tube.
Label: For external use only.
Storage: Store in a cool dry place below 30°C.
Packaging: In a collapsible tube of different sizes.
Use: Whitens the teeth, fights cavities, fights tartar build-up, and freshens breath.
Directions: Brush the teeth thoroughly after each meal or at least twice a day with pea size amount of toothpaste.
Precautions: Not to be swallowed. Keep out of reach of children.
|5||Determination of hard and sharp-edged abrasive particles|
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : How to Make Lathering Shaving Cream?