Advantages of Herbal Cosmetics over Synthetic: Herbal cosmetics are gaining popularity as nowadays, natural products are being preferred over chemical-based products to enhance beauty as these products supply nutrients, enhance health, provide satisfaction, and have relatively fewer side effects compared to synthetic cosmetics.
Following are some of the advantages of using natural cosmetics which make them a better choice over synthetic ones:
1. Natural products: The name itself suggests that herbal cosmetics are natural and free from all synthetic chemicals, which otherwise may prove to be toxic to the skin. Instead of traditional synthetic products, different plant parts and plant extracts are used in these products, e.g. aloe vera gel and coconut oil. They also consist of natural nutrients like vitamin E that keeps skin healthy, glowing, and beautiful. For example, Aloe vera is a plant species belonging to the family Liliaceae is naturally and readily available. There is a rising number of consumers concerned about synthetic ingredients; who demand natural cosmetics free from harmful chemicals and with an emphasis on the properties of botanicals.
2. Safe to use: Compared to other beauty products, natural cosmetics are safe to use. They are hypoallergenic and tested and proven by dermatologists to be safe to use anytime, anywhere. Since they are made of natural ingredients, users do not have to worry about skin rashes or itchiness. Example – BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) are closely related synthetic antioxidants and are used as preservatives in lipsticks and moisturizers. BHA and BHT can induce allergic reactions in the skin. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies BHA as a possible human carcinogen. On the other hand, herbal cosmetics may be formulated using natural antioxidants like vitamin C.
3. Compatible with all Skin types: Natural cosmetics are suitable for all skin types, whether it be dark or fair. Natural cosmetics like foundation, eye shadow, and lipstick can be safely used irrespective of the skin tone. Individuals with oily or sensitive skin can also use them and do not have to worry about degrading their skin condition. Coal tar-derived colors are used extensively in cosmetics, Coal tar is recognized as a human carcinogen, and the main concern with individual coal tar color (whether produced from coal tar or synthetically) is it can cause cancer. But natural colors that are obtained from herbs are safer.
4. Wide selection to choose from: Natural cosmetics may still be a new type in the beauty industry but they already offer a variety of beauty products to choose from. A variety of foundations, eye shadows, lipsticks, blushes, mascaras, concealers, and many more, which are all naturally formulated, are available. Furthermore, one will find locally made natural cosmetics or those made by famous designers worldwide.
There exist a large variety of herbal extracts, to name a few Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh), Asparagus racemosus (Shatavari), Boswellia serrata (Salai Guggal), Asphalt (Shilajit), etc.
5. Inexpensive: Natural cosmetics are not that expensive. Some of these products are more affordable than synthetic ones. An estimate of WHO demonstrates about 80% of the world population depends on natural products for their health care, because of side effects inflicted and the rising cost of modern medicine. World Health Organization currently recommends and encourages traditional herbal cures in natural health care programs as these are easily available at low cost and are comparatively safe.
6. Animal testing not required: Some cosmetics are initially tested on animals to ensure that they are safe and effective to use for humans. However, natural cosmetics need not be tested on animals. These natural formulations are tested by experts in laboratories using state-of-the-art equipment with no animals involved.
7. No side effects: Synthetic beauty products can irritate the skin, and cause pimples. They might block skin pores and make the skin dry or oily. The natural ingredients used assure no side effects. For example, herbal cosmetics are free from parabens that are the most widely used preservatives in cosmetics and can penetrate the skin and are suspected of interfering with hormone function (endocrine disruption).
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Prevention of Mouth Ulcers