Aim: To prepare and submit 100 ml of Calamine lotion.
Requirements: Calamine, Zinc oxide, Bentonite, Glycerin, Liquid phenol, Sodium citrate, Rose water, Butter paper, Analytical balance, Sieve, Mortar, and pestle.
Theory: Lotions are liquid preparations meant for external use without friction. They are applied directly to the skin with the help of some absorbent material, such as cotton wool, and gauze soaked in it. Calamine lotion is a medication used to treat mild itchiness. This includes sunburn, insect bite, or other mild skin conditions. It may also help to dry out skin irritation. It is applied as a cream or lotion to the skin.
|Zinc oxide||5 gm|
|Liquid phenol||0.5 gm|
|Sodium citrate||0.5 gm|
|Rose water||100 ml|
|Distilled water||5 ml|
- Pass zinc oxide, bentonite, and calamine in the 40, 60 no. sieves separately.
- Mix all the three in mortar and pestle.
- Add glycerin dropwise and stir continuously in one direction.
- Add sodium citrate and stir well.
- Pour the required drops of liquified phenol.
- Add some quantity of distilled water and stir well.
- Make up the volume up to 100 ml with rose water or distilled water.
Category: Protectant, Antimicrobial, Anti-acne Lotion.
Storage: Store in a well-closed container and keep in a cool place.
Labeling: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE
Make sure you also check our other amazing Article on : Preparation of Divided Powder